Table of Contents
How to Work with a Kitchen Designer
Are you dreaming of an updated kitchen? Whether you’re considering a minor refresh or a major overhaul, it’s smart to seek out a kitchen designer. Designers have experience, tools, and technology that homeowners are lacking, and they’re knowledgeable about trends, new materials, building codes, and technical information. Putting a kitchen designer’s expertise to work for you can save you time and money- just follow some simple tips to help the process run smoothly.
- Give some serious thought to your existing space. Before you meet with the designer, make a list of things you do and don’t like about your kitchen. How does it function? How are the finishes? Think about what you like and what you hope to change, so you can give the designer a good starting point.
- Do your homework. Take the time to look for kitchen design photos that appeal to you, so that you can show your designer what you’re thinking. Having some idea of your wish list and your hopes for the final result will be helpful to the designer.
- Be willing to listen. Even if you have a clear picture of what you want in mind, it’s important to stay flexible and open to ideas. Remember, you hired the designer so that you could make the most of his or her expertise.
- Establish your budget. When you are firm on what you’re able to spend, your designer will be able to create a clearer picture of what you can afford. Be honest about the money, and you may be surprised at how far your designer is able to make it stretch.
- Agree on a timeline. It’s important to have a timeline for when the work will be completed, while still practicing patience, understanding that the design will take time and renovations can be complicated.
- Remember that it’s a collaborative effort. Be honest and communicative, helping your kitchen designer to understand not just your aesthetic sensibilities but how you use your kitchen. The clearer you can be about what you want, the easier it will be for your designer to help you achieve it. If you need to make changes once the designer comes up with a plan, try to do it before the work has begun.
At USA Cabinet Store, we provide 3D design and consultation without charge, in one of our showrooms or your home. It’s just one way we practice the philosophy that’s made us a leader in the kitchen and bath remodeling industry: that everyone deserves a beautiful home, with kitchens and bathrooms that are both functional and spectacularly designed. Founded in 2011, we have locations in Northern Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, and Houston, TX. Our kitchen and bathroom design professionals and experts in installation work as a team to exceed our clients’ kitchen, bathroom, and remodeling project goals. On our website, you can contact us, find a location near you, or request a complimentary consultation.